Toronto, ON, Canada
Hours of Work:
Shifts Weekday Required:
Shifts Weekend Required:
Statutory Holiday(s) Required:
The Information Management (IM) team at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is seeking a full-time permanent Database Developer .Information Management is a group within the Information Services (IS) Department at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. Through its established IM Architecture, IM is focused on the acquisition, curation and provisioning of clinical and operational data/information across the organization. This includes growing interest amongst the Sunnybrook research community, and initiatives involving Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning (ML).
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Optimize database systems for performance efficiency.
- Create complex queries, functions, scripts, stored procedures and triggers
- Identify any issues related to database performance and provide corrective measures.
- Ensure high standards of data quality and integrity in databases.
- Participate in database design and architecture to support application development projects, create databases with efficient structures
- Test databases and perform bug fixes.
- Troubleshoot database related issues in a timely fashion.
- Apply security best practices to protect databases from unauthorized access & use
- Evaluate existing database and recommend improvements for performance efficiency.
- Develop technical and training manuals
- Provide data management support to users
- Research and suggest new database products, services and protocols
The ideal candidate must have:
- Proven work experience as a Database developer working with SQL Server 2017/2019/2022
- Hands on experience with T-SQL, including Writing Grouped Queries, Pivoting/Unpivoting Data, using SQL Window Functions, Common Table Expressions (CTE)
- ETL development experience using SSIS
- Report development experience using SSRS and Power BI
- Good understanding of database normalization theory (1st, 2nd, 3rd normal forms)
- Experience developing normalized relational databases
- Good understanding of data and schema standards and concepts
- Good understand database design, implementation, troubleshooting and maintenance
Additional preferred experience & skills:
- Database/ETL experience in a healthcare environment
- Knowledge of HL7 messaging standards, particularly HL7 FHIR
- Knowledge of Python for data processing, validation, & orchestration
- Experience with Microsoft Azure, including use and configuration of Azure Data Factory
- Linux server configuration & administration
In addition to the above technical skills, all candidates for the above roles shall possess:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Analytical abilities and ability to work effectively with technical & business users
- Ability to understand business requirements and convert them to functional specifications
- Ability to create technical and functional documentation
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management