Toronto, ON, Canada
Radiation Safety Department
Hours of Work:
Shifts Weekday Required:
Shifts Weekend Required:
Statutory Holiday(s) Required:
Schedule: Weekdays; Days and Evenings (Flexibility Required)
Summary Of Duties:
Reporting to the Manager of the Radiation Safety Department, the Radiation Safety Specialist plays key role in the Radiation Safety team. The Radiation Safety Specialist is accountable for a broad range of technical aspects and support for the Radiation Safety at Sunnybrook.
• Preparing technical reports including but not limited to shielding reports, dose assessment from unplanned events, and hazards / environment assessments related to radiation emitting devices.
• Accountable for effective control and managing of radiation safety related documentation.
• Conducting audits for compliance with relevant regulations, policies and procedures.
• Responding to, investigating and following up regarding radiation safety related incidents/accidents.
• Assisting with radiation dose calculations and risk evaluation for patients and staff.
• Ensuring that all activities involving radiation emitting devices are conducted in accordance with applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
• Providing basic information, education and training in radiation safety.
• Assisting in the provision of technical services.
• Performing other duties as required.
Qualifications / Skills:
• Bachelor of Science in a relevant scientific discipline or diploma from recognized equivalent program in an imaging discipline (i.e. radiological technology, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy)
• 2-4 years of recent working experience in radiation safety, radiation emitting equipment, radiation protection instrumentation or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Knowledge of applicable legislation and regulatory bodies to ensure compliance with both provincial and federal regulations involving radiation hazards and safety
• Must possess effective communication and interpersonal skills in investigating issues, writing reports
• Ability to work well independently and collaboratively with others
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize work to meet deadlines & objectives
• Demonstrated initiative, time management, organizational skills and attention to detail
• Experience working in a large hospital environment would be an asset